Thursday, October 23, 2008

Surgery...

About 3 weeks ago I got another sinus infection. I get that, bronchitis, or some other relating sickness multiple times a year. I constantly lose my voice for weeks at a time and it was starting to get old. So I went into the Dr and he said my tonsils were huge, which he always says and that it would be best if I saw a speciailist to get them out. So off I went and a couple days later with my dad and saw the surgeon to see what he thought. As I explained my history he asked me to breathe for him, so I did and he knew something wasn't right. He asked to take a ct scan to see inside of my nose/sinus. Ten minutes later the results came back and they weren't good. He said I had air bubbles in my maxillaries and up all these cavities which there should be no air. He told me that I had chronic sinisitis and all these other words I didn't know. He said my tonsils should come out, but if I didn't want to go through with that, I definately had to go through with the other surgery. We decided the best option would be to do both at one time. Each surgery separately would take me out for about 2 weeks, but it was necessary and needed to be done as soon as possible. I can't tell you how good it felt to hear those words. The fact that knew things weren't normal in my nose, but there wasn't anything I could really do about it because you don't find out things like that until you are looking for something else. All growing up my mouth seemed to stay open while doing physical activities. I remember watching dance videos and seeing my mouth open, but litterally I couldn't breath if it was shut. I went to Cabo with my friends in August 2006 and they were trying to teach me to swim with my head under water breathing from my nose but it was completely impossible for me, and no one not even me, could understand why. I just start to panic. So in that sense, I am happy to find out that I needed this surgery and that my breathing would improve. So yesterday, October 23rd I went in for surgery. I was in such a panic because I was supposed to be to the surgical center at 7am and I didn't wake up until Megan came down stairs to take me at 6:50am. So just going in I was all flustered and wasn't sure I had everything. I hate that feeling. I got into the surgical center and after doing a few things necessary all the sudden I was being wheeled into the OR. I was so scared and I felt like it was so fast. If you don't know me, you have to know that I have to mentally prepare myself for things. I don't like things being surprising or sprung on me. So I didn't get to say goodbye to Megan and thank you for all her help and my dad was on his way and he wanted to see me before I went in, but he didn't make it in time either. So here I am texting on my way into the OR and the dr's are laughing but they don't know how annoyed I am that I don't have any time to say good bye! And then the anistheisologist is talking and thinking he is so funny saying that I only have about 20 seconds before I won't have a clue whats going on. He was right. I woke up serveral hours later to my dad feeding me jello and ice and tears streaming from my face. I could hear talking, but I didn't understand anything going on. So the surgery went well. The surgeon told my dad it was such a good thing that I had it done. Apparently it was pretty diseased up there, who knows how that even happens, sick. Tmi? But I'm so glad its over. My dad drove me over to my sister Heather's house to stay for the remainder of my recovery. Cohen kept running around trying to figure out what was wrong with my mouth. B's Mouss! B's Mouss! yep... kind of a disaster... Olivia was so sweet and fed me ice cubes my dad got me from Sonic. She kept calling me Ariel from the Little Mermaid and tapping her throat. She thinks I need to find a boy to make it better. One of the best things...Heather told me that when she would wake me up all last night to give me medicine that I WASN'T snoring!!! yay!!! That enough is reason for the surgery :) I should give it more time, test out my no-snoring on more people, but for now, one opinion is good enough!

6 comments:

Heats said...

I stand by my comment of I don't think you are snoring! Although I think I was snoring last night. I woke myself up with it. Can you pass it on?? Anyways, I am glad you let me take care of you. You are a trooper. Love you!

Muncher Cruncher said...

Ben! I am so glad I got to see you yesterday! I hope you are feeling a little bit better! I miss you at home :( I can't believe you're cured!!! amazing! xoxoxo

R Clan said...

Hopefully you will quit being so sick now. That makes me feel so awful for you. It's great you have such wonderful people to take care of you.

Colby and Hilary said...

Benita I feel so bad for you!!! But hopefully it will be a good thing. Let me know if you need anything, I am home so I can come visit you if you get bored!!!

Jenna said...

You had surgery! This blogging thing sometimes makes me want to cry because it helps me realize how out of touch with everything I am already. I am so glad you got through everything okay and that you might be able to sleep without snoring from now on. Woohoo! Cohen and Olivia are absolutely hilarious, I love that she thinks you are the Little Mermaid. You are so brave Beni, I am getting the internet installed tomorrow morning, so hopefully we will be able to chat all the time while you recover!

Amber said...

Oh I am so glad that the surgery went well. I am also so glad that you are happy that you don't snore anymore. And one last thing that I am happy for... Next time we all go to Cabo again for a reunion, you will be able to swim underwater! Yahoo! I love you to death. I can't wait to see you this weekend. One day at a time!