Friday, May 2, 2008

Soaring to New Heights...

So a few weeks ago some friends and I went down to St. George to get away before I took finals and to get away from this dang 7 month long winter! We went down to stay in my friend Rob's condo and it was so so fun. The first day we just got there and basically went to bed. Then on Saturday after Megan and I went on our long Saturday run we all went to the Bear Paw - the best place that we have to eat at every time we go to St. George and then headed of course straight to the pool. That was the main reason for the trip - lay in the sun and attempt to get a tan...you all know how that goes for me... Later that day we went to "The Crack" in St. George - I don't know if any of you have been there but it was a fun/scary little adventure. I couldn't think about it for too long cause I kept picturing some sort of earth quake happening or something and I wouldn't be able to get out!






So the next day I thought we were going on a nice Sunday hike at Zions and I couldn't have been more wrong... Brad suggested that we go either to Overlook (or something like that) or Angels Landing and I'm not sure how it happened, but we decided on Angels Landing. Megan and I are very protective about our running shoes and make sure to only wear them for running... so the night before the hike we had to go get some new shoes so we headed to the local Payless and picked up these amazing shoes..



These were probably the worst shoes we could have bought and they had zero traction, but they worked. Anyway the hike took about two hours to get to the top and it was sooo beautiful. There was a 360 degree view of the whole canyon. Here are some of the pictures that we took - I don't think they really do it justice, but for those of you who have done - you know what I mean...

Don't worry there were chains to make sure we could stabilize ourselves against the 2 ft wide mountain...


on either side of us it is basically a straight down drop...

11 comments:

Jenna said...

I will never be able to understand the appeal of that crack thing you slid through. But I love how adventurous you and Meggie are!

The Smith Clan said...

Benita, WE love you! We think you are just part of our family! We Loved the SLC 1/2 Marathon. It was soooooo.... fun! You are awesome. This is my first time looking at your blog. Fun!! Elaine

Chelsey said...

Oh my goodness, that makes me claustrophobic just looking at the pictures. But it looks like fun. Plus, you look great!

Kelly said...

YEAH!! I have done angels landing before... its kinda scary but SOO pretty!! What fun adventures!!

love your face!

Kate said...

Ok...love the payless shoes. I hope you take those to Powell. I bet they would be nice to fish in...think about it.

Jolynne said...

OK....My hands started to sweat when I saw that drop off. Especially when you were between those too walls, I would have paniced.

Travis and Teresa Wilson said...

I could never do that drop off thing I am such a wuss when it comes to heights. Love the shoes!

K. Bitton said...

I was getting claustrophobic just looking at the pictures of the crack!! I want to do the angel's landing hike one day...:) Sounds like you guys had fun!

Steph said...

I could never do that hike! I would cry... I love your shoes haha they are awesome :)

Kara said...

The crack looks fun. My fat butt wouldn't have fit in there. :)

Amber said...

Basically the shoes were the highlight of my entire day. Thank you for that picture... thank you.